Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Manuelovka Village Daycamp

The team at Manuelovka village is Jared (games), Terri, (crafts), and Haylee, Emily, Joe, and Burke (working with small groups). Our camp has gone very well. We have just over 30 kids. This number, while not very large, is extremely high compared to how many they have on any given Sunday (usually 4). We have had the opportunity to teach them American songs (Banana Song, Hippo Song, and Our God Is So Big), and we have also shown them the Adam and Eve skit. When showing them pictures of my family, I realized just how inflated their view of America is. They asked questions like "Did I have a Mustang?", "Was I rich?", and "Do I have a mansion?". It made me realize just how lucky we are. Even though I don't have the things they asked me about, they were things that I see or use on a regular basis. For those kids they were just a fantasy. We have been able to teach each other lots of things during our time together.
(written by Burke)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Joel,

    I hope all is going well and that you're enjoying serving God and being with the team. By the way, we will probably be doing the fantasy football draft on Monday. The house is completely set up and we're just about finished getting settled in. Mom started her new job on Monday and it's going really well. Micah says to say hi and Levi asks about you quite a bit.

    We miss you and are praying for you.

    See you soon,

    Dad

    P.S. Rusty says "What's up Yonssson?

    ReplyDelete